The Commercial Relationship Team Leader is responsible for the acquisition, retention, evaluation, processing and servicing of the largest, most complex commercial business loans in the bank’s loan portfolio. Utilizes the bank’s available assets to maximize generation of revenues, profits, deposits and referral opportunities while mitigating risk. Supervises one or more associates as an active advisor and a motivational leader. Must represent the Bank with pride while developing a strong market presence.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Generates new commercial loans according to loan policy guidelines, the bank’s risk tolerance and regulatory guidelines.
- Takes responsibility for implementation, execution, and achievement of sales team goals. Sets a leadership example by taking ownership and exceeding personal goals.
- Directly supervises and manages a team of commercial lenders providing sales leadership and assists in the development and implementation of the Commercial Sales Plan to maintain and expand existing client relationships and growth of new relationships. This requires ongoing and regular sales leadership including coaching, counseling, and reinforcement to develop the commercial team’s skills. Must continually monitor the execution of the team and respond accordingly, holding team members accountable for their results. Must have a proven ability to mentor, energize and motivate.
- Conducts 5-10 client and/or prospect visits per week.
- Builds knowledge of all clients and prospects by compiling an in-depth profile of commercial business owners and other principals. Ensures client’s depository, cash management and investment needs are identified and met.
- Reviews and analyzes commercial client financial documents to determine viability of future business and relationship expansion opportunities.
- Advises clients and recommends various loan products and services as well as discusses qualification requirements for each option.
- Provides superior level of customer service while actively managing commercial banking relationships. Responds and resolves client inquiries, identifies new opportunities and maintains understanding of client’s complete financial objectives.
- While working within established credit guidelines, exercises appropriate discretion in analyzing merits of specific credit and loan prospect requests.
- Develops information and makes loan presentations to appropriate loan committees, when required.
- Establishes and negotiates terms under which credit will be extended or denied.
- Monitors loan repayment activities and takes necessary action to collect on delinquent accounts.
- Proactively solicits new commercial business relationships through the cultivation of key referral sources.
- Participate in community affairs and public relations initiatives aimed at improving the bank’s visibility and enhancing new business opportunities.
- Conducts regular sales meetings with commercial lending team and retail members. Coordinates client development meetings in cooperation with market-specific branch office staff.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of new and current regulations.
- Makes recommendations for personnel regarding employment, training, performance rating, salary changes, promotions, transfers, terminations, career enhancements and staffing. This includes actively participating in the recruitment and retention of team members.
- Ten years professional work experience, including a minimum of five years of bank-related relationship management experience required (preferably in commercial lending).
- Previous experience required in credit analysis, loan portfolio management, and loan review. Experience should demonstrate proven ability to understand and analyze financial statements and tax returns as well as make sound credit decisions.
- Experience should demonstrate a detailed knowledge of bank operations, including Treasury Management, depository and loan products.
- Work experience should demonstrate ability to lead and supervise commercial lending officers and associates, and commercial client relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance-related field (Finance, Accounting, or Economics) required.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, CHARACTERISTICS):
- Must be able to work outside of normal business hours.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen attentively and intuitively, with high comprehension and effectively convey a response that promotes a positive impression.
- Strong business development and interpersonal skills to market the bank and oneself, whether during or after business hours. This includes being able to identify banking opportunities, and if necessary, refer the client to other associates.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and the ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to make sound judgments, with little hesitation and after thorough consideration of relevant data.
- Ability to interpret financial information and data, evaluate character and capabilities of the client, and determine the value of collateral offered.
- Manages a team of two or more, typically including a Portfolio Manager and one or more Relationship Managers.
- Must be able to work within a routine office environment.
AA/EOE M/F/D/V MEMBER FDIC